SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management)
What is SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management)?
SHRM is the largest professional Human Resources organization in the world. It was founded in 1948 and has over 300,000 members in 165 countries. SHRM is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia. SHRM provides multiple resources for HR practitioners and supports legislation to advance the industry.
This is how SHRM describes the mission of the organization:
SHRM, the Society for Human Resource Management, creates better workplaces where employers and employees thrive together. As the voice of all things work, workers and the workplace, SHRM is the foremost expert, convener and thought leader on issues impacting today’s evolving workplaces. With 300,000+ HR and business executive members in 165 countries, SHRM impacts the lives of more than 115 million workers and families globally. (SHRM)
What does SHRM provide for members?
SHRM provides a variety of resources for Human Resources professionals:
- Compliance guidance for federal, state and local workplace laws
- Templates, tools and samples
- Ask an Advisor Service
- Professional development tools (seminars, eLearning course, webcasts)
- Professional certifications
- Networking opportunities through local SHRM chapters and state councils
- SHRM Research & Surveys
How much does it cost to join SHRM?
A professional membership is priced at $219 per year (in 2021) and a student membership is $49.
The organization works through research, publications, and legislative input to advance the interests of the HR profession. Lately, SHRM has extended efforts to impact the workplace as a whole through stepped up legislative recommendations and the development of industry standards. The Balance Careers
SHRM Human Resources Credentials
- SHRM-CP Society for Human Resource Management Certified Professional
- SHRM-SCP Society for Human Resource Management Senior Certified Professional
For the certifications, SHRM organizes eight behavioral competencies into three areas:
- Leadership (Leadership & Navigation, Ethical Practice)
- Interpersonal (Relationship Management, Communication, Global and Cultural Effectiveness)
- Business (Business Acumen, Consultation, Critical Evaluation)
- The Society for Human Resource Management
- What’s the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)?, Indeed for Employers
- SHRM YouTube Channel
- Everything You Need To Know To Pass The PHR Certification Test [Updated for 2021]
Simplify HR management today.