SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management)
What Does SHRM Stand For?
SHRM is the largest professional Human Resources organization in the world. It was founded in 1948 and has over 300,000 members in 165 countries. SHRM is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia. SHRM provides multiple resources for HR practitioners and supports legislation to advance the industry.
This is how SHRM describes the mission of the organization:
SHRM, the Society for Human Resource Management, creates better workplaces where employers and employees thrive together. As the voice of all things work, workers and the workplace, SHRM is the foremost expert, convener and thought leader on issues impacting today’s evolving workplaces. With 300,000+ HR and business executive members in 165 countries, SHRM impacts the lives of more than 115 million workers and families globally. (SHRM)
What does SHRM provide for members?
SHRM provides a variety of resources for Human Resources professionals:
- Compliance guidance for federal, state and local workplace laws
- Templates, tools and samples
- Ask an Advisor Service
- Professional development tools (seminars, eLearning course, webcasts)
- Professional certifications
- Networking opportunities through local SHRM chapters and state councils
- SHRM Research & Surveys
How much does it cost to join SHRM?
A professional membership is priced at $219 per year (in 2021) and a student membership is $49.
The organization works through research, publications, and legislative input to advance the interests of the HR profession. Lately, SHRM has extended efforts to impact the workplace as a whole through stepped up legislative recommendations and the development of industry standards. The Balance Careers
SHRM Human Resources Credentials
- SHRM-CP Society for Human Resource Management Certified Professional
- SHRM-SCP Society for Human Resource Management Senior Certified Professional
For the certifications, SHRM organizes eight behavioral competencies into three areas:
- Leadership (Leadership & Navigation, Ethical Practice)
- Interpersonal (Relationship Management, Communication, Global and Cultural Effectiveness)
- Business (Business Acumen, Consultation, Critical Evaluation)
Simplify HR management today.
What is an HRMS System? A Human Resources Management System (HRMS) is a suite of integrated software tools that perform Human Resources tasks. Each tool allows you to manage one or many HR processes in the employee life cycle. Whether the task is done daily or once a year, the HRMS performs and documents the…Read More
What is workforce planning? Workforce planning is a formalized system for identifying current and future staffing needs to ensure the company can meet its goals. Also called labor forecasting, workforce planning outlines human capital solutions for several possible scenarios. Once a business identifies the needs, it creates a roadmap for executing. As business conditions change,…Read More