What is video interview software?
Video interview software allows hiring managers to conduct video interviewing online. Video interviewing is the practice of conducting a remote job interview over the internet. It allows businesses to interview candidates when the applicant and/or the interviewing team is not in the same geographic location.
Some companies use general-purpose software like Zoom and GotToMeeting to conduct interviews. Video interview software is designed specifically for job interviews.
What are the benefits of video interviewing?
- Recruiters can interview candidates while either the applicant or interviewer(s) is working from home or on the road
- Applicants can talk to hiring managers while self-isolating due to COVID-19
- Hiring teams can record video interviews for remote collaboration
- Applicants can record a video interview at their convenience for the hiring manager to review at his/her convenience
- Candidates who have a current job can schedule a video interview more easily and might not have to miss work
- Companies that use video interviews strengthen their employer brand, create a better applicant experience and demonstrate their commitment to cutting-edge technology and hiring practices
How does video interviewing software work?
Hiring managers looking to invest in video interviewing software have two options: one-way recorded interviewing or two-way live interviewing. Note that some video interview software has both recorded and live capabilities.
One-Way Video Interviewing
Employers using one-way video interview software send a list of questions and topics to the applicants ahead of the scheduled interview date. Applicants have the opportunity to read over the questions and come up with answers on their own time. Then they send back a video of themselves answering the questions. It’s simple and efficient.
- Create text or video based questions
- Limit think time
- Control the number of allotted takes
- Restrict max answer length
One-way video technology places responsibility in the hands of the applicants by giving them time to formulate answers and requiring them to submit their response on their own time. While they don’t have to make the drive to an office, they do have to set up a video recording of themselves.
Two-Way Video Interviewing
Two-way live video interview software provides a process similar to traditional face-to-face interviews. Hiring managers who want to use this software need to contact the applicant and schedule a time that works for both parties. Applicants scheduled for a two-way video interview prepare as they would for a traditional interview process—by compiling a resume, analyzing their strengths and weaknesses and coming up with answers for possible questions.
Here are some tips for hiring teams:
- Record full-length interviews
- Brand your interviews
- Conduct interviews directly in your web browser
- Receive concierge support
Why should small business hiring teams use video interview software?
There are plenty of reasons to invest in video interviewing platforms. Some of the benefits hiring managers gain from switching to video interviewing are:
- It’s cost effective
- It’s easier to schedule and can take place after work hours
- Allows for consistent interview questions
- Easy to track performance and compare applicants
- Reveals how candidates handle technology
- Helps hiring mangers find employees they wouldn’t have found otherwise
The right video interviewing technology saves time, energy and money. It allows hiring managers with packed schedules to find the right time for an interview—even if it’s after work hours—and gives applicants the convenience of interviewing from their own home (or wherever they feel most comfortable).
ATS Video Interview Integrations
Many applicant tracking systems (ATS) integrate with video interviewing software and services.
- 15 Advantages of Video Interviews You Didn’t Know About, Spark Hire
- How to Conduct a Successful Video Interview, ZipRecruiter
- How Manager Feedback and Interview Evaluations Improve Hiring in 2020
- How to Quickly and Remotely Onboard Employees Post-Pandemic
- Why Structured Interviews are Critical [Win at Hiring in 2021]