Employee Scheduling Software
What is employee scheduling software?
Employee scheduling software is a business software application that automates the process of building and managing employee work schedules.
How does employee scheduling software work?
Employee scheduling software has a graphical interface, templates and replication tools. Users can drag and drop employees into shifts. Create standard schedules and modify as needed. Track employee availability, certification expiration and schedule preferences.
How does employee scheduling software help managers?
- Save time building schedules with templates and replication tools
- Publish schedules and communicate about schedule changes in a centralized locations
- Fill shifts with best-fit employees
- Avoid overstaffing, understaffing and double-booking at two locations
- Improve schedule adherence with self-service shift trading (subject to approval)
- Reduce schedule errors and improve attendance with auto-alerts and notifications
- Speed awareness and problem resolution with self-service portal for schedules, reminders and shift trading
- Eliminate unplanned overtime with max hours alerts
- Help comply with labor laws with schedule rules and warnings
- Forecast labor needs based on historical trends
- Aids compliance with FLSA, predictive scheduling and fair workweek laws
How does employee scheduling software help employees?
- Employees can see their schedule online from a mobile device
- Employees can request shift trades and pick up open shifts
- The software tracks employees schedule preferences
- Certification renewal alerts
What are best practices for building and managing employee work schedules?
- Post schedules at least two weeks (or more) in advance
- Unpredictable schedules are responsible for high employee turnover. Create schedules as far in advance as possible. Make sure your employees understand that there may be last-minute changes. Most employees, however, won’t be affected. Studies have shown that there is far less schedule unpredictability than business owners realize.
- Understand employees needs and wants
- Ideally, this should begin with the first interview. Find out when an employee is available and how many hours they want to work. Availability and shift preferences should be important factors in the hiring decisions.
- Simplify shift trading with an online trade board
- Employee scheduling software with an online trade board has been a boon to many companies. If you set shift rules in your employee scheduling software, it will prevent the problems mentioned previously. An online trade board works great for businesses with a lot of part-time employees and many short shifts. The employees handle their own trades per manager approval.
- Create a formal absence management plan
- An absence management plan is a set of policies that manage time off. It addresses planned time off like vacations and family leave. It also addresses unplanned absences like sick time. When employees follow the proper protocols, there is less impact on productivity and workflows.
- Cross-train for increased flexibility
- The most job roles employees can perform, the easier it will be to create just-right schedules
- Employee Scheduling for Small Businesses: 7 Best Practices For Hourly Workers
- Improve Employee Scheduling to Fast Track Business Recovery: The Comprehensive Guide
- Time and Attendance: Timekeeping, Policies, Software, Compliance, Templates, Swipeclock
Simplify HR management today.
Simplify HR management today.
Onboarding is the process or action of bringing a new employee on board with a company. The process often includes a range of activities, some of which are performed by human resources professionals. These activities are designed to integrate a new hire, such as: Orientation An introduction to the company’s structure An outline of the…Read More
Human Resources Management System (HRMS)
What is an HRMS System? A Human Resources Management System (HRMS) is a suite of integrated software tools that perform Human Resources tasks. Each tool allows you to manage one or many HR processes in the employee life cycle. Whether the task is done daily or once a year, the HRMS performs and documents the…Read More