What is absenteeism?
Absenteeism describes the situation where employees do not show up for scheduled shifts or miss scheduled events such as meetings and appointments. The term is also sometime applied to late arrivals, early departures, and unauthorized breaks.
What are common employee attendance issues?
- Arriving late
- Frequently calling in sick
- Failing to attend meetings
- Missing appointments
- Longer-than-authorized breaks
- Leaving work before the shift ends
- Failing to perform job duties while at work
What are some causes of absenteeism?
- Childcare and eldercare
- Workplace bullying or harassment
- Burnout and low morale
- Job Hunting
What are negative effects of absenteeism?
- Decreased morale
- Lower productivity
- Bad customer experience
- Reduced team cohesiveness
- Cultural impact
How can absenteeism be tracked and improved?
- Create a compliant, progressive attendance policy
- Track attendance to understand the situation
- Treat all employees equally under the policy
How can scheduling and timekeeping effect absenteeism?
Preventing schedule confusion reduces unintentional tardies and absences. Post schedules several weeks in advance and track arrival, departure, and breaks. This is one of the easiest ways to reduce absenteeism.
- Destructive Employee Absenteeism Improve Your Attendance Tracking, Swipeclock
- Time and Attendance: Timekeeping, Policies, Software, Compliance, Templates, Swipeclock
Simplify HR management today.
Company culture, also referred to as business or organizational culture, includes the actions, behaviors, and attitudes of those who work for a specific organization. At its core, company culture incorporates how employees interact with one another and complete their tasks, as well as how the influence of company leaders on the overall workplace atmosphere. Beyond…Read More
An employee punch card is used with a time clock that requires a manual punch. When an employee arrives to work or plans to leave, they insert the punch card into the clock to create a timestamp. Older time clocks printed the date and time on the card, which was used as a timesheet to…Read More